Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Truth (plus some sisterly love) Will Set You Free

Throughout my life, I have had trouble with being blunt with others and telling them that they drive me up the wall (or something along those lines). I beat around the bush because I don't like others' feelings to be hurt. I am a people pleaser and I know I shouldn't be because then I, myself, wouldn't be as happy as I could be. Others think they know all about someone when they actually don't have a clue about who they really are. They think they know the whole story when they only know bits and pieces. That's how rumors get spread, trust is tested, hearts are broken, and feelings get hurt.

McKayla, my little sister (I call her Kay), on the other hand, will tell you like it is. She will tell people what she's thinking that very moment and she will stand by what she says. She may not know this, but I really admire that about her. She is so strong and independent and doesn't care what anyone thinks. She doesn't take crap from anyone and those who are just getting to know her will learn that very quickly. I wished I was as strong as she is (and not only in that category). 

Kay and I are best friends. We are so different. She's an Einsteinette, works very hard, and plays volleyball. I work hard, try my best, play the flute, and I love to read books. One of the few things we have in common is that we play the piano, but we didn't have a choice in that matter. Our mom made us learn how to play the piano. When we were growing up, she said that we couldn't participate in any after-school activity until we learned how to play the piano. It was hard and frustrating at times and there were a lot of tears shed during lessons, but how grateful I am to know how to play the piano!

Kay and my other two sisters play volleyball. I think that is so cool that they can share that bond together. Sometimes, I feel like I'm out of the loop because I do my own thing. It's not that I hate them or anything; I'm just jealous that they have something they are all a part of and that they can share together.

When we were growing up, I am not going to lie. I was not the most supportive sister. When Kay was in Jr. High, I hated going to volleyball tournaments because they were "so long" and I got bored really easily. I felt bad that I didn't like to go because Kay supported me during Show Choir concerts and she said they were really boring to watch as well. I guess it's different when you are the one participating in the event. After her last tournament of Jr. High, I made a commitment to go to every single game as she started high school. Honestly, I don't think I went to all of her games, but I went to most of them. It was more fun to watch her play in high school than it was in middle school. I think it was because we were in high school at the same time (I was a senior when she was a freshman). 

Even though Kay and I are very different, she has taught me so much about being a friend. She is kind and considerate of others. She genuinely cares about other people. She loves others no matter what. I'm so grateful she is my sister. :)

Left to Right: Heather, Kay, me, and Erin

This is one of my favorite pictures of me and the sisters. As all three of them would say, "Delaney, don't I just look adorable?" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment