Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day- A Day to Reminisce

Since Memorial Day is today, I thought I would pay my respects to this special holiday. I love being able to remember about those who have gone before us and how special they are in our hearts. We contemplate the memories we had with them. We ponder how much we loved them and still love them.

When this time of year rolls around, I often think about my Grandpa Foster. He is one of the most kind, gentle, thoughtful, loving people I have ever met. The day that he passed away, I was so upset and sick to my stomach. 


Throughout his life, he suffered from kidney failure and because of his kidney failure, he was given three transplants (not at the same time, mind you).

Grandpa's first kidney transplant was before I was born. His sister, Peggy, was a match for him. His kidney lasted 5 years. His second transplant he received was from an anonymous donor who died suddenly of a brain aneurysm. A family received her lungs, another a heart, and my grandpa was lucky enough to receive one of her kidneys. That was a miracle for our family. His kidney lasted for 15 years. It may not have been a big deal to the donor's loved ones, but it was an enormous deal for my family. That was 15 more years I got to spend with my wonderful grandfather. That kidney was an answer to my prayers and so many others. His third transplant he received was from my sweet mother. She and her five sisters were all tested to see if they were able to give Grandpa a kidney. My mom was a match. We were all so grateful for her selfless act of service. My mother did well after the transplant. The one side affect she received was that she is always cold. I'm not sure if she still gets cold today, but then, she was always so cold. I'm so grateful for a mother who is so selfless, thoughtful, and kind. I don't know what I would do without her.

Grandpa was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He didn't grow up in the Church, but was converted and baptized when he was 24 years old. That was the best decision he could've made for his family. My mom said once that one decision can affect millions of people. Grandpa's decision to join the Church is living proof of that statement.



This picture was taken when Grandpa and Gran were both attending Brigham Young University. I really love this picture because both of them have that twinkle in their eyes. I would say this was a "love at first sight" moment. 

When Grandpa passed away, it was the worst day of my life. I didn't cry the entire time I was with my Gran and the rest of my family, but a few weeks later, I was in Seminary and my Seminary teacher, Brother Saunders, gave me a note which read, "You are awesome! I'm sorry your heart is hurting right now. I feel to share a verse with you. Read it as though your grandpa is saying it. Enos 1:27." That scripture reads "And I soon go to the place of me rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put in immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen." After I read that scripture, I let out everything I was bottling up inside since that past weekend. I sobbed the entire class hour. I felt so much better after I let it all out.

Grandpa has taught me so many important lessons about life. He has taught me to love others unconditionally, to serve others selflessly, and that family is so important. He has taught me to love Heavenly Father and to always be on His side, no matter what. On the program at his funeral, a quote was printed on the front. It said, "No one had to guess whose side he was on." That statement sums up my grandfather really well. He always wanted to please his Heavenly Father and did strive to become like Him. 

Even though the day Grandpa passed away was the worst day, it was also the best day. I knew Grandpa wasn't suffering anymore. I knew he would be with his family members who have gone before him. I also know that I will be able to see him again. 

I am so grateful to be a part of Grandpa's family. I am thankful for his loving counsel and example. I am grateful for his consistency in the gospel and for teaching me to always be on Heavenly Father's side. I hope I am just as committed and faithful as he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment