Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Most Important Lesson I've Learned (and am still learning)

Most of the friends I grew up with are married and starting to have families of their own. My best friend is married and has a little boy. I also found out the other day that one of my other old friends is having a baby! She's due in August. I'm so excited for her, but I'm also a little jealous. Chris and I have talked about having kids. We want to start trying, but I'm never sure when the right time will be. I know things will work out (they always do) and I don't want to rush into things. I don't want to have a kid until I'm ready. The only thing I've ever wanted to be is a mom. Now let's just see if I'll ever be ready.

As I've grown older, I've learned to trust in my Heavenly Father and put my life in His hands. If I do that, nothing else matters. That's the most important lesson I've learned and I think everyone should learn for themselves. As I've learned to trust Heavenly Father, I've also learned that the key component in doing so is to listen to and follow the Holy Ghost.

It reminded me of a quote by Elder F. Enzio Busche. He states, "It takes courage and commitment to follow the promptings of the Spirit because they may frighten us as they lead us to walk along new paths, sometimes paths that no one has walked before, paths of the second mile, of acting totally differently from how worldly people act. For instance, we may be prompted to smile when someone offends us, to give love where others would not find anything to be thankful for, to accept jobs that others would be too proud to do, to apologize where others would defend themselves, and to do all the seemly crazy things that the Spirit prompts a righteous, honest, listening heart to do."

I have to remind myself that if I listen to the Holy Ghost and do what I'm supposed to, that everything will work out. Now that I'm an adult, this lesson has been hard for me to comprehend. I'm so impatient sometimes and I wish Heavenly Father would just give me what I want right now, but I know it doesn't work that way. Another statement I've heard is, "We pray for patience, yet we want it right now." How true is that? I am guilty of this statement. I hate being patient. It is no fun, but I know if I am, Heavenly Father will bless me.

I think everyone needs to keep this small, yet very important, lesson in mind as they go through trials and hardships. I know that my Heavenly Father is with me every step of the way and if I follow Him, everything will work out the way it should. If we really love Him, we will follow His timetable even if we don't want to. I know He has a plan made specifically for me. I know He loves me because if He didn't, He wouldn't have given me a wonderful family and a wonderful husband. I wouldn't have what I have now. All He asks in return is to follow and trust in Him. That's really all we can do to repay Him for all He has given us.

I'm so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who's watching over me. I don't know what I would do without Him. I'd be so lost, that's for sure! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment