Saturday, March 1, 2014

Kindness Begins with YOU!

Being kind is very important if we want to become more like Christ. That is one of the most Christlike attributes we can ever develop. Christ was kind to everyone. He was always helping and willing to help someone who was in need. He never spoke bad about anyone. He is the prime example of kindness.

When I was growing up, there was this group of girls who never liked me. They teased me and were just plain mean. I would try to be nice to them and say "hi," but that was about it. They just didn't like me for some strange reason.

During middle school and high school, my mom made a checklist for me. I took it with me every day. It had my class schedule, my locker number and combination, and my mom would hand write notes for each class on what assignments I needed to turn in that day or what I needed to ask my teacher about. When I was in sixth grade, I lost my checklist. I was freaking about because I didn't know where I was supposed to go, what period was going to be next, and where my locker was. So, I went to the office and stayed there the whole day. One of my good friends (she was one of my Primary teachers. We have been close ever since) was a secretary in the office and she let me stay with her. When I went home, I bawled my eyes out and told my mom what happened. She said she was sorry I had such a rough day. I didn't know what to think. For the longest time, I thought it was my fault since I thought I was the one who lost my checklist.

Two years later, two of the girls that were in that group were in my band class. We actually all played the flute. One day, I went to band, thinking it was just going to be a normal day. I saw one of the girls was just bawling her little eyes out. Since I thought she was a brat, my first thought was, "What the honk is wrong with you?" The other girl looked sad as well. They both came up to me and apologized for being so mean. I quickly forgave them and we became friends (not close friends, but friends nonetheless). I was grateful for that apology and that we made things right between us. Come to find out, those two girls stole my checklist in sixth grade to be funny. It wasn't funny to me. It was traumatizing.

I've learned that kindness will always begin with yourself. When I was younger, my mom would always say to me, "Kindness begins with Laney!" It reminded me that I need to make the effort to be kind to others, especially my family, and treat them like they're sons and daughters of God (which they are). Heavenly Father loves each and every one of us. He wants us to love the rest of His children and remember that we are all brothers and sisters. If we remember that, we will be able to treat everyone with kindness.

Here is a Mormon Message about being kind.


Odds are, someone will never like you for something you did or didn't do. Others will hold grudges against you. But, if we remember how important kindness is and show them kindness, they will back off or want to be as kind as we were to them. Now, they might not say it to your face, but deep down, they want to be kind too.

No comments:

Post a Comment