Friday, March 21, 2014

My Biggest Regret

I have a huge regret that I will never forgive myself for. It's been eating at me ever since I got married. When Chris and I got married, it was a beautiful day at the temple and at our reception.

Throughout our reception, we just had music playing from my IPod in the background. Chris's brother, Jared, made a playlist of the songs I wanted and titled the playlist "Smoochy Poo." He's smart like that. :) Since the music was just playing in the background, Chris said he was going to randomly take me out on the gym floor and dance to our song. Since he told me he was going to do that, my first thought was, "Then, how am I going to dance with my dad?" I was going to dance with him to the song "Stealing Cinderella" by Chuck Wicks. I thought it'd be perfect for us. I just didn't know how I was going to do it since Chris was randomly going to take me out there.

When "Stealing Cinderella" came on, people were still congratulating me and talking to me. I heard it faintly through the conversations in the line and I completely spaced it. I felt so bad. I will never forgive myself for not dancing with my sweet daddy at my reception. Chris told me that my dad told him it was no big deal, but, deep down, I know he was really sad he didn't get to dance with me. This little mistake has been eating at me ever since.

Chris and I danced to the song, "When You Got a Good Thing" by Lady Antebellum. My best friend choreographed it. It was so fun, except halfway through the dance, my veil caught on Chris's cuff link. But, he fixed it, gave me a kiss, and we finished our dance. After that happened, I was so nervous about finishing it right. That little mistake, though, kind of defined our relationship in the dance. We are not a perfect couple and we both know that (if he was perfect, I wouldn't have married him). So that little mistake was perfect for us. I will never forget that.

I heard a new country song the other day called "Daddy, Dance with Me" by Krystal Keith (for all of you who are country fans, she's Toby Keith's daughter. I thought that was so cool!). It was about a father daughter dance at a wedding. It was a beautiful song, but it made my stomach churn because I knew I never danced with my dad. I've tried to move on with this little mistake, but it will eat at me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment