Friday, September 26, 2014

To Step Away or Not to Step Away from the Screen? That is the Question

It's sad that I'm even talking about this, but I think this problem should be addressed sooner or later. As Americans, we are so attached to the screen. Whether it's our phones, the television, video games, or the computer. Whatever happened to going outside just for the sake of being outside? Whatever happened to evening dinners with family? Whatever happened to pleasant conversations at the dinner table with those families? I think our generation is deteriorating away with technology. I mean, when was the last time others had Family Home Evening with each other without all the technology? When was the last time we had a meaningful discussion about anything without using our phones as the first resort?

I know I need to work on this too, obviously. Technology is as important to me as anyone else. I use the computer to do my schoolwork. I watch movies on the television. I use my phone for just about everything. I blog, for heaven's sake (that's the only way my pictures will work is if I use my phone to put them on the correct posts I want)! :)

Even though technology can be very useful (like using it for missionary work), I believe that there are a lot more important things than technology like spending quality time with our families, serving others, developing talents, reading tangible books (I personally like to feel the novel. That is why I say it like that), the list goes on and on.

Mr. George Feeny (a character from the 90's television show "Boy Meets World," which I am a little obsessed with, mind you) said it best: "Gutenberg's generation thirsted for a new book every six months! Your generation gets a new web page every six seconds, and how do you use this technology? To try and beat King Koopa and save the princess. Shame on you. You deserve what you get." I would much rather read a tangible book than be wasting my time away on my phone, the computer, etc. Though, it makes me wonder: are we using the technology we have been blessed with efficiently or do we use it as an excuse not to put effort into anything worth working for? 

We do deserve what we get if we don't use the technology wisely enough. I've always thought Mr. Feeny was wise. ;)

Last year, during a session of General Conference, Elder Richard G. Scott, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, stated,“Be wise in how you embrace technology. Mark important scriptures on your device and refer back to them frequently. If you young people would review a verse of scripture as often as some of you send text messages, you could soon have hundreds of passages of scriptures memorized. Those passages would prove to be a powerful source of inspiration and guidance by the Holy Ghost in times of need.” Technology can be used for the better instead of the worse, yet it goes both ways. I love that we can use technology for missionary work. We can help others become closer to Christ using this wonderful technology Heavenly Father gave to us. We should be using it more efficiently to spread the gospel to all of God's children, ready and willing to listen to the message. We should use it to help us remember things that are going on in our lives (that's mostly why I use my phone, the laptop, etc.). We should use it to communicate better one with another.

I hope that whoever is reading this takes a step back and thinks of all the wonderful things they could be doing with all this technology that has been given to us and use it to their advantage. I hope they think twice on how technology is being used in the world today and become a positive influence others can follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment