Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Me as a Honey Bee

Two years ago in General Conference, Elder M. Russell Ballard told a story about how his father owned a peach orchard in Utah and kept several beehives there to pollinate peach blossoms which would eventually grow into juicy, delightful peaches. Elder Ballard’s father loved to observe how the bees worked together to make honey from the nectar in his peach blossoms. Elder Ballard states, “Though seemingly insignificant when compared to the total, each bee’s one-twelfth of a teaspoon of honey is vital to the life of the hive. The bees depend on each other. Work that would be overwhelming for a few bees to do becomes lighter because all of the bees faithfully do their part.”

I loved that story because it made me contemplate that as precious children of our Heavenly Father, we depend on each other more than we could ever imagine. We can’t make it to the celestial kingdom alone. We need to be like the bees: faithfully working together to bring the rest of Heavenly Father’s children back home to Him.

So, how can I become more like the honey bees Elder Ballard talked about? How can I contribute in bringing souls back to Christ? How can I be a better friend to those around me? I could invite someone to Church activities. I could listen to what others have to say. I could be a better friend to the people around me. I could not be scared or ashamed to bring up a gospel related topic in a conversation. I could respect others a little bit more. It doesn't have to be a huge act of service. It’s amazing how the littlest, most simple deeds can make all the difference in the world.

When I read Elder Ballard’s talk, I immediately thought of how the bee is a symbol in the Young Women program. After the young women earn their Personal Progress medallion, they can earn what is called an honor bee by reading the Book of Mormon or helping a fellow young woman earn her medallion. I think that is a wonderful reminder that we should always be serving those in need.  I’m sad to say that when I was in Young Women’s, I never earned my honor bee. Although, I do admire those young women who worked hard to earn it or will earn it in the near future. That is such a wonderful thing to accomplish.
                         
This is Scarlet (isn't she just adorable?). She is in our ward. Scarlet has earned her young women’s recognition medallion as well as her honor bee. To receive her honor bee, she read the Book of Mormon all the way through. Scarlet always gives me a hug when she sees me at Church. Her sweet, smiling face just lights up a room!

     
Jesus Christ was always serving someone who was in need and taught others that when they are in the service of their fellow being, they are also in the service of Heavenly Father. His disciples would assist Him serve the people who desired His help.

How do we as His children become better servants of the Lord? We serve those whom we love. I would suggest serving our families a little better would be a good start. Let’s think of what they need before what our own needs. Let’s find ways to make serving enjoyable for everyone. We could plan a service scavenger hunt or have speedy service games. We could also try to become more aware of the people around us and their situations.

I’m always so grateful when someone serves me in a small way. A kind act of service could be an answer to someone’s prayer which is why we should always be serving. We never know who’s life we can change by our small acts of selfless service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment