Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Come Listen to a Prophet's Voice

General Conference was this past weekend. I really enjoyed listening to it. I wasn't sure if I was going to have the chance to listen to Conference because Chris and I are planning on moving into a house pretty soon and our apartment is a mess. I've been packing and putting things in our garage to get ready for our move. I'm excited to move into a house because we will have more space, but I think I'm more excited about Buddy and Bella because they will finally have a yard to run around in! In our apartment complex, they have nowhere to just run around. I get worried that both of them will run off, but with a yard, I won't have to worry about that as much.

On Saturday, the first session was awesome! I really enjoyed listening to President Boyd K. Packer's (he's the president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles) talk. He stated, "The two ingredients for a marriage are a cookie and a kiss." I thought that was so cute. That quote needs to be put on a sign and placed in every person's home around the world today. ;) President Packer also said that as we have children, we will become closer with our Father in Heaven and that true love requires an everlasting marriage. That's why being married in the temple is so important.
Image result for the two ingredients for a marriage are a cookie and a kiss
This quote should be in everyone's home. :)

I also loved Sister Linda K. Burton's (she's the Relief Society General President) talk. She discussed the importance of a marriage and a family. She stated, "Lift your husband. Let your husband lift you and we will ascend together." I liked listening to Elder Dallin H. Oaks's talk. He stated, "Long-term members can slip into a condition where they have no root in themselves...If we are not rooted in the teachings of the gospel and regular in its practices, any one of us can develop a stony heart which is stony ground for spiritual seeds. Spiritual food is necessary for spiritual survival especially when the world is moving away from belief in God and the absolutes of right and wrong." Elder Quentin L. Cook's talk was pretty amazing too. He talked about the family. He said, "So much in life is extraneous, but the family is the real thing, the substantial thing, the eternal thing, the thing to watch over and be loyal to." I loved listening to the Saturday sessions. The messages were just what I needed to hear.

I enjoyed listening to Sunday's sessions as well. One of my favorite talks was from Elder Jose A. Teixeira. He stated, "Our lives don't fit on a 4-inch screen." I thought that was really good. His whole talk was on technology. It really opened my eyes to how much I, personally, am on technology. I should be taking more of a break and spend time with my family instead of staring at a screen for hours and hours.
There were so many talks that were awesome. I really enjoyed President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk as well. His talk was all about grace and the grace of God. He stated, "His grace helps us become our best selves. ...With God's grace, the path of discipleship does not lead backwards. It leads upwards." I thought that was pretty good. He really opened my eyes to what having grace really means. Grace means humility. We must become humble and have more grace of we want to be with Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and our own families for eternity.
Another talk I really liked was given by Elder Kevin W. Pearson, of the Quorum of the Seventy. He said, "When adversity comes, don't let something you don't fully understand unravel everything you do know." That was AWESOME! :) One other talk I want to mention was the very last talk given in General Conference. It was spoken by Elder Russel M. Nelson. He stated, "The Lord can only teach an inquiring mind." I thought that was pretty profound, wouldn't you say? :) He goes on to say, "Faith in God renders a love of the Sabbath. Faith in the Sabbath renders a love for God." Elder Nelson's talk helped me find out for myself if I'm truly keeping the Sabbath day holy. I think I do a pretty good job. Let's hope Heavenly Father agrees. ;)
Sunday evening, Chris and I were able to go to Nancy Ford's house (Nancy is our Relief Society president) and have dinner. She had a lot of family there. I don't know her kids very well, but they are so fun to talk to. Bishop Hagey and his wife, Lori, were also there. It was so good to catch up with everyone. I'm really glad Nancy invited us over. We have such good people in our ward.

I know I've said this a lot, but I say it because it is the truth and I will say it time and time again. I sure love listening to General Conference. If you really know me, you'll know that I am a freak about General Conference. When I was living with my parents, we would usually go and see my mom's family and watch Conference at my Gran's house. I would always tell everyone to "Shhh!" while I was listening so I can get every word and take good notes. My whole family told me that I was a freak about it. Yeah, that hasn't changed very much. My excuse is that I don't want to miss out on anything important. :)

I love the feeling I receive after I listen to the musical numbers or listen to one of the talks given by a church leader. Sometimes, when I listen to one talk, I think that talk was written just for me because it's what I needed at that very moment. I tried to go into conference with a more open mind and open heart. I tried to think of some questions that I've been needing an answer to. I think listening to General Conference this time around, I found those much needed answers to those questions.

I'm so grateful for General Conference. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father has given us a prophet on the earth today and that he leads and guides the church. I'm grateful for the inspiration he receives and I know that it is from Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment